Preparing Your Home For Sale
Preparing Your Home For Sale: Basement, Attic, Garage
- Dispose of everything you are not going to move.
- Pack all items you won't be needing until after the move and arrange neatly, so the exterior walls can be inspected.
- Basement and attic stairways should be well-lighted & free from clutter.
- Increase bulb wattage on stairways and in basement, attic and garage.
- Basement and attic handrails must be secure.
- If basement is dark & gloomy, consider painting ceilings and walls a light color.
- Sweep floor of garage; remove any stains and dirt.
- Organize tools and garden equipment.
- Wipe off any dust and dirt from water heater and furnace.
Preparing Your Home For Sale: General Interior Items
- Entry area should be spotless.
- Entry area closet should appear roomy. Remove out of season items and add extra hangers.
- Eliminate cooking, smoking and pet odors.
- If there are smoking odors, have furniture, drapes and carpets cleaned.
- If there are pet stains, carpet and padding may need replacement.
- Stick to neutral colors if painting or replacing carpets.
- Wash all windows -take advantage of natural sunlight.
- Window screens should be in good condition and free from holes.
- Make sure all lighting fixtures have working light bulbs.
- Increase bulb wattage in basement area.
- Clean all carpets.
- Clean all wood and tile floors.
- Get rid of cluttered closets... leave very few items on the floor of closets.
- Consider moving large pieces of furniture into storage.
- Clean and polish woodwork.
- If the season is appropriate, open windows and let the fresh air into the house.
Preparing Your Home For Sale: Kitchen and Bathrooms
- Clean and organize all storage space.
- Avoid clutter, store small appliances.
- Clean ventilating hood and exhaust fan.
- Sink, cabinets, appliances and counter tops should be clean and fresh.
- Wash & organize cabinets.
- Check all faucets. Repair any dripping faucets.
- All surfaces should be spotless. Clear off vanity countertops.
- Replace worn shower curtain(s).
- Remove all personal care items from sight and neatly store.
- Clean and organize drawers and linen closet.
- Clean and repair caulking.
Preparing Your Home For Sale: Living Areas
- Have walls and ceilings in top shape.
- Repair any damages that may have caused ceiling or wall stains and re-paint.
- If repainting, stay with neutral off-white colors.
- Replace any burned out light bulbs.
- Add higher wattage light bulbs if rooms are dark.
- Be sure all lighting switches are in working order.
- Wash floors.
- Remove stains from carpeting.
- Clean and organize closet space... remove out of season clothing to make closets appear larger.
- Consider adding fresh or silk flower arrangements throughout the house.
- Sweep and clean fireplace.
- Make sure all doors and windows open and close easily